Sunday, January 15, 2012

What fills us?

I begin tonight with the end of my day - an evening meal at Cafe Gratitude.  It is a joy to support a business that "walks the talk" in terms of environmental stewardship and sacred commerce (a new phrase I'm encountering more and more here in the wilds of California).  Delicious food and an inviting atmosphere are much more enjoyable when you know the planet and and its inhabitants benefit from your meal.  As I finished my soup I could easily read the words written in the bottom of the bowl:  "What are you grateful for?"  I can think of no better way to end a meal than to remember and offer thanks for my blessings.

And there were many blessings today for my sabbath rest.  I started the day with a trip to Muir Woods, with the hope of worshiping God in the Green Cathedral.  Fortunately for God, half of San Francisco had the same idea.  So without a parking space to be found even within an unreasonable distance to the entrance, I headed on my way and practiced sharing the road with cyclists (I am so impressed with the number of cyclist here in California...and if the roads were wider, the shared experience would be more enjoyable for all).  I took Route 1 to Stinson Beach, and then took the roads less travelled north through lots of little towns (fun), and eventually ended up back on Sir Francis Drake heading towards San Rafael.  I confess to being a bit miffed that I had missed the trees in Muir Woods, but then I noticed a state park tucked out of the way and off to my right.  I pulled in to the picnic area and found myself enjoying a grove of old wise redwoods and the sounds of a lovely creek.  I sat in the grove and enjoyed the beauty of God's creation - Muir Woods can wait for another time.

I drove on to Whole Foods to pick up some cough drops (I know you're smiling right now because you know my real reason for going there...).  This time I didn't let the "economy of parking spaces" deter me from sitting still and enjoying the music from my bird friends - and boy were they at it today.  It was wild!  I just rolled the windows down (looking like I was waiting for someone who was shopping inside) and relaxed into the music (not the same calibre of music as was experienced at Boise First today, but as that choice wasn't open to me, my birds did their best to help my spirit soar).  David says I can use my IPad to record them, so we'll see if I can figure out how to do that. I have now identified Birds Coltrane - they are indeed red winged blackbirds, but with a California attitude (and mighty in number).  They reason they are so plump - they live at Whole Foods.

Fortunately, I forgot to get the cough drops, so I have an excuse to go back there soon.

I decided to go to a local Catholic Church for Mass this evening, which was my stop before Cafe Gratitude.  The Priest gave an excellent sermon, and skillfully wove the theme throughout the liturgy.  But although the sermon was first class and the liturgy familiar (and all in English as opposed to last night's experience), I felt no connection with the community, and the experience was cold.  I was challenged and inspired, but my heart was left hungry, instead of feeling full.  Last night I attended a service where I was clearly an "outsider" and did not even understand some of the language, but felt included, welcomed, and filled.  Interesting... it makes me wonder what the experience of worship is like for our guests at Boise First.  What is it that invites a person into "connection" - both with God and with community?  We have done our best to make sure we are not speaking a different language, and yet that alone isn't enough.  An interesting point to ponder.

Tonight the sky is full of stars, the air is clear and crisp, and a weather change is here.  We lost about 20 degrees of warmth today - I almost wore a jacket!  Tonight it was downright cold - maybe the winter rains are on the way, for this very parched ground.  The area is very dry, and people are praying for rain...just as in Boise people are praying for snow. 

We lift our hearts to God and offer our concerns...our worries...thanksgiving for our blessings...our hopes and dreams.  May we take the advice given by the Priest tonight in his homily and remember to follow the example of Samuel and invite God to speak to us, and then stop talking long enough to hear what God has to say...and may the experience be like water on parched ground, or food for a hungry heart.

With love and prayers,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment