Thursday, January 26, 2012

Signs, Spirit and Sweetcakes

Tonight I sat outside on the concrete retaining wall and looked at the stars.  I smiled when I saw the moon - to use Scots parlance, the new moon is lying in the old moon's oxters (armpits) - meaning (to Scottish farmers) bad weather is coming.  Thinking of that reminds me of a dear Scottish farmer back in Aberdeenshire who would study the moon and come back with the weather forecast most Sunday mornings during winter.  He was often more accurate than the Met Office (and certainly more interesting)!  He knew how to "read the signs" and would use them to predict the weather.

It was a good (exhausting) day today.  Classes are now done, and the first of my two assessments went very, very well - extremely affirming, encouraging, and provided excellent suggestions.  Nothing opens the heart like being known and affirmed for who you are.  I smile even as I write this, and think back to our meeting today, and a moment in the midst of it when I had an "ah ha" realization - compliments of the facilitators.  I was so excited and filled with joy that I thought I would burst (feet "happy dancing" and racing at a hundred miles a second), as they lovingly and gently held that joyous space with me while we celebrated a step that I hadn't even realized I had taken!  Based on this realization,  I'll be starting a very different kind of journal when I get home - a journal unlike any I've ever kept before.  I can't wait!  I will carry these experiences in my heart for some time to come.  When I see the joy, feel the renewal, and sense my heart opening, I can read these signs as indicators that God's healing Spirit is at work in my life.  Reading the signs and knowing what they predict gives me great hope!

So there is much joy in my heart today.  To celebrate this with you, I share a poem that was given to us today in class.  May you hear God's voice speaking to you in these words, and feel the freedom that is God's gift to us all.

"God Says Yes To Me" - by Kaylin Haught

I asked God if it was okay to be melodramatic
and she said yes
I asked her if it was okay to be short
and she said it sure is
I asked her if I could wear nail polish or not wear nail polish
and she said honey
she calls me that sometimes
she said you can do just exactly
what you want to
Thanks God I said
And is it okay if I don't paragraph
my letters
Sweetcakes God said
who knows where she picked that up
what I'm telling you is
Yes Yes Yes

With love and gratitude for the God who says Yes,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment