Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dancing Heart

When I first picked up the book "Sleeping With Bread," (by Dennis Linn, Sheila Fabricant Linn, and Matthew Linn) I was sure Amazon had sent me the wrong book.  After all, this was a required text for my course, and it was illustrated like a children's book!  Once I set my ever-present-judging-mind gently aside, I let myself be drawn into the pictures - and the text.   I soon discovered that the illustrations were a perfect way to "gentle" the reader into considering an important spiritual practice that has a strong-sounding name:  The Examen.

See what I mean...doesn't the Examen sound, well, harsh?  Strict...stern...judgmental...maybe even oppressive?  But the truth of this practice is the exact opposite - it is a life giving, gentle practice that helps us to be more aware, present, grace-filled and grateful.

In its simplest form, you practice the Examen by agreeing to stop once a day (usually in the morning or at night) and reflect on two questions:  For what today am I most grateful?  For what today am I least grateful?  If you live with someone, you can do this practice together; if you live alone, you can do the practice knowing that God is with you.  It is good to write down your answers - perhaps keeping a journal.  There is power in naming these things out loud or writing them down, and not just keeping them in your head or heart.

As I look back in my journal, I see that it has almost been a year since I started this practice, and I am definitely seeing the fruit of this discipline in my life.  All the students in this course are asked to covenant to do the Examen every day - it is part of the promise we make in being part of this community.  It is an easy promise to make, because it brings such rewards to all who practice it.  Please consider trying this out for yourself - it is well worth the investment of 15-20 minutes each day.

It was a long but good class day today - with afternoon devoted to working in a small group to learn a completely new way of listening.  The experience was challenging, but in a very good way.  I found myself at worship tonight once again wiping away tears of joy - this is such a good place for me to be.  Each moment is pregnant with new ways (which are actually very old) to open to God, both as an individual and as a group.  And the days are filled with times of silent contemplation - a practice that nourishes me on all levels.  I feel like one of those plants you see at the nursery or church plant sales in June - the one that long ago outgrew its small plastic pot, and looks limp, a bit wilted, and days away from a trip to the dumpster... but at the last minute gets planted in rich, fertile soil and springs to life in new and vibrant ways.  These bones can't dance, but my heart sure can!

Joan Chittister reminds me that "The function of spiritual leadership is to show in our own lives the beauty that oozes out of those who live the spiritual life to its fullness.  The function of spiritual leadership is to enshrine what a good life can be" (The Rule of Benedict - A Spirituality for the 21st Century, p 39).   I pray that this is one quality of leadership that I bring back to Boise.

With love and prayers,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment