Monday, January 23, 2012

Walking the Talk

Today was a tough day, as we dealt with topics that were heavy and difficult - violence that is found in relationships (child, elder, and partner abuse; sexual abuse; homicide and suicide).  You could feel the air thicken as all of us leaned into this uncomfortable material and felt it settle over our shoulders like a dense, heavy weight.   Most of us in the room had been touched by one or more of these topics, either in our ministry or personal life.  Each topic reminded me of pain I had witnessed during my ministry, and I found myself almost flooded with memories of people I have worked with and cared for who faced these tragic experiences.   It was a tough day for all of us, and we were reminded to do what we needed to do to care for ourselves (I had a chair massage scheduled for lunch time - a nice option for self care).

As I was leaving, one of the lecturers checked in with me to make sure I was ok.  Whether she intuited that I was stressed in a way that I didn't notice, or she was concerned because I was anxious to leave class (chair massage), or she could see from my face that I had names and stories of congregants to go with these topics, or she remembered from my application materials that, in the broadest brush strokes, I alluded to some challenges in my early family life that would resonate with the material today - whatever motivated her to check in with me almost didn't matter.  What mattered is that she did check in with me.  I am continually touched by how this program seeks to embody what it teaches; the program itself is its own best textbook.

How true this is of all facets of life, including life in the church.  I am convinced that what we say is not nearly as persuasive as how we are with one another and what we do.  Talking about love matters little, whereas loving others in deed as well as word changes the world.  Preaching about justice changes little; embodying justice transforms systems, structures and relationship.  Compassionate words are pretty and nice, but can be like paper flowers in a rain storm; compassion lived out in relationship has a lasting beauty.

Walking the talk - it is the only way to transform the world, one experience and encounter at a time. 

What quality to you long to see in the world?  More love?  Justice?  Mercy?  Compassion?  Joy?  Peace?  How are you embodying that quality, and "living" it into the world?

We are all called to this sacred work - no exceptions!  What a holy, humbling, precious gift.

"Let us live in justice, love in mercy, dwell in God with a humble heart."  (Prayer Song from Chapel)

With love and prayers,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment