Monday, January 30, 2012

TPS

Re-entry.  I was reminded today that the space shuttle had a heat shield (TPS - thermal protection system) in order to survive the experience of re-entry.  Re-entering the earth's atmosphere creates a great deal of friction and heat, and without that protection, the shuttle could not survive re-entry.   I was thankful for my own heart's version of the heat shield as I turned on the computer at work and started going through almost a month's worth of emails, and messages, and minutes from meetings, and tried to reconcile what I had on my calendar before I left with what is on my calendar now...and met with people...and answered phone calls...and remembered to breathe...and remembered to pray...and remembered to laugh about how hard we can make life with all our busy-ness.

I remembered to take my cd's (by the musician who led worship at Chapel during my intensive) and play them in the car as I drove to/from work.  "May every word that I speak to everyone that I meet be filled with tenderness" lodged in my mind and heart and kept playing internally long after I was out of my car.  A good thing, given some of the responses I might have otherwise made to emails!  With helpful internal music, my responses were far more measured then they might have otherwise been, and I remembered to keep breathing.  I applied some of the skills from my contemplative listening work to my meetings today, and found that I was hearing a different inner melody in the conversations that I  might have otherwise missed - very interesting!  I continue to ground myself with prayer time at the beginning and ending of the day, and keep working on a daily examen - a very powerful tool.  It is becoming second-nature to me to ask the question:  What has given me joy and opened me to love today (consolation), and what has blocked the flow of love today (desolation).  I am becoming more aware of the items that make up my collective "heat shield," and will work with them to make sure I spend less time "crispy around the edges."  Crispy is not a good emotional/spiritual state for humans.

So what are the components of your heat shield - your thermal protection system?  What helps you to stay refreshed and renewed, and prevents "crispiness?" Are you taking steps to identify the components of your TPS, and strengthening those components?  Or are you in need of new heat tiles?  If so, allow God to show you what might help you handle the heat and friction of the atmosphere you live in.

The greatest blessing for me today (my consolation) happened at 2:20 pm, as I slowly limped down the stairs into the warm waters of the Elk's Rehab Hospital therapeutic pool.  Once the warm water started to work its magic, I started to walk...and walk...and walk some more.  Within 30 minutes I was jogging in the deeper water, and by 45 minutes I was moving freely in the deep end, dancing and cycling and cross-country skiing to the music - and having the time of my life!  Now I'm limping again, but the water will be waiting for me tomorrow morning, and I'll experience an hour of freedom again.  What a gift.

What was your greatest gift today?  Name it and lift it up with thanks.  And then take a few moments to savor that gift - let the memory renew you, and prepare you for rest.

Sweet dreams,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment