Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lucid Brevity

What a wonderful phrase - lucid brevity.  When we make our responses in lecture or small group, we are encouraged to practice lucid brevity.  In the beginning they gave us even stricter parameters:  "In one or two sentences..."  or  "in one or two simple sentences..."  or  "using two or three words..."   -  you get the picture.  The discipline of lucid brevity is a true gift, as it forces us to speak clearly, cleanly, and get right to the point.  I'll try to remember this when I get back into the pulpit on Sunday!

There are other phrases I will remember from this first intensive, including one that is destined to become my favorite:  "A long, loving look at the real"  (Walter J. Burghardt).  That is probably the best definition of contemplation I've ever heard.

Tomorrow I enter the final phase of this first intensive.  I put the "out of office" auto reply on the email, and feel myself settling into a time of deep reflection (and assessment).  There is much to ponder and integrate as I plan for the next ten months of remote learning.  They gave us our manual today - page after page of well-organized instructions and forms (many, many forms).  My first response to seeing all the forms was a wry smile as I remembered that this is a Presbyterian institution - of course there is an impressive structure!  But as I read through the material, I could see wisdom in the process.  I look forward to fully engaging in the process, to see how it works!

So, dear friends, the next few posts may be very brief as I focus my full attention on my remaining time here.  You may find poems and assorted other words of inspiration posted here - I'm not sure what the next few days will bring.  In any event, I look forward to sinking deeper into the mystery of this process of taking a long, loving look at the real, and will share my experience with you in due course.

"Slow me down.  Still my restless mind.  Quell my fears.  Quench my thirsty Soul.  Fill me with your love.  God of truth.  God of love"  (Prayer song from this evening's Chapel Service).

Nature sighting tonight - an owl in flight.  What a gift!

With love and prayers,
Kim

1 comment:

  1. i have been relishing this journal and your journey. i have restrained myself from commenting because we both know that i am not skilled in lucid brevity or at least the brevity part. this entry and one other have been the only comments i have allowed myself to make. i have been practicing being quiet and focus on the listening/reading part. I want to thank you for the gift of this blog. I will also be so happy to see you home with us again. see... so much for the brevity. :-)

    blessings
    nina

    ReplyDelete