Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Water and Threads

It almost rained today - we almost had the beginnings of the much awaited winter rains.  The clouds came in looking most promising, but then they were gone.  It is a clear, crisp night tonight with no sign of clouds in the sky.  I hear that Boise had its first big snowstorm, and WNY continues to get buried in a think white blanket of snow - measured in feet!  Whatever else we think of the snow and winter rains, it brings moisture to parched ground.

Moisture is needed to sustain life (at least on our planet).  I've been thinking today about what it is that quenches our inner thirst and leaves us growing and blossoming like a well-watered garden.  What is it that leaves us feeling alive, vibrant and able to be used by God to bring life and vibrancy to others?

My guess is that the specifics of the answer differ for each person, but the core of the answer is a reality all humans share.  We all yearn to be known, to be listened to, to be loved, and to be seen as beloved.  When those needs are met, we thrive.  When they are not...well...we also all know what that feels like.

It appears that the "take home" message of this particular training program is that pastoral spiritual leadership based in contemplative listening (truly listening to and knowing the other) can provide the life-giving water that allows communities to grow and thrive.  I see it happening here between individuals; I see it happening here in this community.  I have experienced it in my own life.  Nothing is as  transformative as being in a place or relationship where I am known, heard, loved and seen as beloved.   Today I had this experience in abundance through our assessment experience and this evening's worship - joy overflowing!

My day of joy was embodied this afternoon by a hummingbird that was drinking from the rosemary blossoms.  A hummingbird in January - a new experience for me!  It danced among the blossoms and radiated joy (which is the "medicine" of the hummingbird, according to some native and shamanic teachers).  I took a moment this afternoon to refresh my memory on the "medicine" brought by deer, mountain lions and hummingbirds - since they have visited me recently in ordinary time and the nonordinary time of dreams.  Very interesting reading...  I also refreshed my memory on the "medicine" brought by spiders (even dearly departed ones like Oscar, who kept me company each morning in the shower until yon Oscar decided that we needed an "up close and personal encounter").  Although Oscar has gone to the "nearer presence of God" (words from a Church of Scotland liturgy), I find it helpful to remember that spider "medicine" teaches us that we weave our own realities - we are the creators of our lives.  We choose, and God works within our choices to bring about the realm of God in our midst - one thread at a time.

Happy weaving,
With love,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment