Monday, January 9, 2012

Tears and Deer

If the worth of today is measured in resources acquired, then I could have gone back to the apartment by 10 am.  Within the first two hours, I had learned about a CE curriculum for preschool through elementary school that sounds remarkable, and had experienced a new style of worship that left me truly in awe.  I look forward to bringing these two resources home to my community.  Our course work this afternoon was first rate, and it confirmed again that I am indeed in the right program for me.

But the highlights for me today were not resources acquired or even knowledge gained - the highlights of this day could be found framing the schedule at the beginning and the end:  Worship.

8 am felt early to be heading for Montgomery Chapel after a restless night of little sleep, but as soon as I opened the door, the music gently lifted my soul and took me on a memorable journey.  Acoustic guitar and piano - with the guitarist providing the vocal support - and we were on our way!  I would diminish the experience by trying to describe it - my tears said it all.  They say that tears are the language of the heart, and my heart was overflowing both this morning, and this evening as we ended with communion.  Each day will begin and end like this - what a gift.  The approach to scripture reading and the homily was lectio divina, and it was done with a grace that was inspirational.  I didn't need the scripture passage to remind me that I was standing on Holy Ground - my heart knew.

Our morning was spent in retreat recounting the story of Moses and the burning bush - we looked at those burning bush experiences in ministry and tried to find words to describe that sense of being in the presence of the holy - and being called.  So many memories came to mind - not the least of which was the huge burning bush chandelier in the Chapel of Garioch Kirk, and all the love that surrounded it.  It was a day of feeling blessed (even while sitting for hours in lecture - something I haven't done for decades)!  They congratulated us at the end of the day, reminding us that one day in "intensive" was equal to a week in term.  My old bones didn't need to be told... and they rejoiced!

...so before I came home to crash tonight I sat outside of Alexander Hall looking at all the stairs leading up to the top of the hill.  Then all of a sudden I heard the sound of twigs snapping and leaves crunching...and out popped a small herd of deer who made their way up the stairs, one step at a time.   What a perfect use for all those stairs - and better them than me!

Holy Ground is everywhere - this earth is ablaze with the burning bushes that are never consumed.  God continues to place these "signposts" in our path to focus are attention.  If only we could resist all the petty distractions that catch our attention, and instead follow Moses' example and turn aside and see what God is doing in our midst... and stand with hearts and minds open on Holy Ground...the perfect place for transformation.

A reading from class today:  Days pass and the years vanish,
                                                   and we walk sightless among miracles.
                                              God, fill our eyes with seeing
                                                  and our minds with knowing;
                                             let there be moments when Your Presence,
                                                  like lightning,
                                                 illumines the darkness in which we walk.
                                             Help us to see, wherever we gaze,
                                                 that the bush burns unconsumed.
                                             And we, clay touched by God,
                                                 will reach out for holiness,
                                                 and exclaim in wonder:
                                             How filled with awe is this place,
                                                 and we did not know it.

                                            Blessed is the Eternal One, the Holy God!

                                           Chaim Stern, from Mishkan T'Filah, 
                                            A Reform Siddur-Shabbat,
                                            ed. by Elyse D. Frishman, Central Conference of
                                            American Rabbis, 207, 53 [171].
With love and blessings,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment