Sunday, April 15, 2012

Spirit Duck Sighting in the Slow Lane

Ever since the hate speech graffiti incident at the church, my Sunday morning begins with a slow drive around the property before parking my car and unlocking the church door - just in case there is something I need to see before others arrive.  Today I got quite a surprise!

I turned the corner and was driving along the kitchen-entrance side of the building, and at the back door I saw a pair of ducks - yes, ducks - looking for crumbs and happily enjoying the morning sun.

Ducks.  Suffice it to say that this is not a normal sighting.  I stopped in the middle of the road and just stared - and smiled.  Ducks.

So what wisdom do ducks bring?  Some say that ducks, as spirit guides, help people to see clearly through emotions, and that they are the spirit helpers of mystics and seers.  I smiled.  A nice way to start my morning.

The Youth Group led worship, so I was able to visit with people without the responsibility of keeping a worship service (and sermon) in my head.  I confess that I thoroughly enjoyed being out of the pulpit for the day - a very  nice break.  The "space" gave me a bit of extra time to be with people, especially those who were in distress today.  As always, some were rejoicing while others were in deep pain.  And some were on their way to do other things.  The normal rhythms of the parish...

And yet they come - Woody Allen says that showing up is 80% of life, and I think that quote could apply to life in the church.  Although I have a healthy (?) skepticism about many aspects of organized religion (mine included), I always watch for signs of hope - of grace - of love breaking through.  I saw that today, and was so thankful that I was able to see it, instead of being distracted by all the many "good things" I often do on a Sunday.  What I saw had nothing to do with grand and glorious plans and projects, but people loving and serving one another.  Love in action - grace in our midst.

Slower is better - you see more when you're not in the fast. land (but please don't quote me).

What did you see today - truly see today?  How did God speak to you today?  Did you slow down long enough to see and listen?

Listening,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment