Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Slowing down to the speed of God...

As a child I was fascinated by this notion of the speed of light - this amazing, mind bending speed that was so much "cooler" than the speed of sound.  Our culture supports and encourages all things fast - after all, isn't instant gratification one of the perks of being a developed nation?  Water - turn on the faucet.  Lights - flip a switch.  Too hot or too cold - adjust the thermostat.  Food - microwave or drive thru.  Question - internet, where you can hop on the information superhighway and travel at whatever speed your provider will support.

Once I arrive on retreat, it takes me about a full twenty-four hours to slow down to the speed of God.

Deep sigh.  This speed is so much better.  It is also the speed of the heart (unlike the speed mine has been racing at recently).  It is the speed of healing...of reflective presence...it is the speed of health and renewal. 

I see so much more at this speed - am aware of God's presence in a more vivid way (instead of seeing it as a blur through the windscreen).  God's humor is more apparent, as is God's creative brilliance.  And God's nurturing presence is everywhere...

I had let go of the discipline of the Daily Office readings after my return from SFTS in January (too busy).  So after a long hiatus, I started again last night.  And what was the first reading assigned for the day?  Exodus 18: 13-27.  God's affirmation came through loud and clear - it was like being enveloped in the arms of a beloved mentor/parent.  Today after spiritual direction I came back to my room with a question on my heart.  When the bells rang for chapel, I turned to the second reading of the day, and found the answer to the question I hadn't even asked aloud.  I am forever amazed at how God can speak through scripture, and through others, and through clouds, and through birds bathing in the creek now swiftly passing my window...God has an infinite number of ways of speaking, and is always speaking.  And yet, when I am distracted with other things, it is as if God is silent.  How sad!

If you ask me what I did today, the list would be very short.  I did answer a few emails from church, and I spent an hour on the phone with the dietitian who is working with me to craft an eating plan that will address the health difficulties I now face.  I spent precious time with my spiritual director,  and went over to the Monastery twice for meals.  The rest of the time? 

The rest of the time was spent in the rocker in front of the window (sometimes wrapped up in a quilt) just resting in God's presence, and enjoying time with the One who is the source of all life...the source of my life.

It doesn't get any better than that.

At peace,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment