Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What Matters...

In previous posts I've talked about the examen - a spiritual discipline that helps to deepen one's awareness of God presence while enhancing the ability to express gratitude.  It is simply a matter of taking some time at the end of the day and inviting God to show you those places where you experienced God's love most clearly (consolation), and those places where you did not experience God's love at all (desolation).

Consequently moments of grace are very much on my mind right now, as I draw my day to a close.  I was awakened with a soothing, melodic bird song this morning, as a robin temporarily displaced my red-winged friends and their edgy WAKE UP riff.  This morning grace came to me through a person who patiently takes the time to help me see new possibilities in my life, even when I cannot see them for myself.  This afternoon someone else took the time to help me feel empowered and strong by"safely" lifting weights and doing some cardio (oh how I miss the rehab pool)!  The tree outside my office window gave some lovely wee birds a place to perch and preen while I worked my way through bulletin drafts, glancing up at their beauty now and then.  And tonight the stars and moon were so clear and crisp - all I could do was take a deep breath as I gazed upward and offer thanks. 

Nature and people - God's beauty and supportive love just when I needed it - in just the right way.

I am so thankful that these people showed up - and cared - and were willing to share their wisdom and experience with me.  Even though it was part of their job to show up, their kindness and care went above and beyond, and continues to make a huge difference in my life.  I am also deeply grateful that the beauty of God's created world can be enjoyed - each bird and star and tree is such a gift!

Where did you make a difference today?  How did God work through you to provide just what was needed at just the right time?  Whose life was touched because you showed up - right where you are?  It is humbling to think that the God of the Cosmos is able to touch us through others...and that we can reach out to others, be in partnership with this God and make a difference.  I am awed by this reality, and oh so grateful!

May you show up for your life, so God can work with you and through you to change the world - one act of love and compassion at a time.  It all matters!  You matter!

With gratitude,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment