Monday, March 26, 2012

DESIRE

Desire.  I have a short stack of books to read that all relate to the idea of finding God within our desires.  This notion is not new in the realm of spirituality, but is certainly new to me.

Oh, I've heard the admonitions before:  "Follow your bliss, and it will lead you to God." And everytime I heard that, I would think, "yea, sure - tell me another one." 

Ouch!  That was cynical...but true.  I can locate God in "follow your duty," or "follow what is expected of you," or "follow the rules" or "follow tradition," even "follow what you have to do to meet the needs of others," but follow your bliss?  Find God in your desires?  It sounds almost hedonistic, and certainly self-centered.  And wrong.

But then, slowing down sounded wrong, too, and I'm learning that what sounds wrong to me may just mean that it sounds different - or unexpected - or contrary to what I've done in the past.  Or invites change.  Wrong is my default label, and it lives up to its name.

Desire.  It is amazing to think that (perhaps) God can inspirit the deepest longings of our heart...our core desires...and that as we become aware of them, name them, and embrace them, we grow deeper into our awareness of God. 

It raises some interesting questions.  What are my deep desires - the longings of my heart?  Not the superficial stuff (like an earth box to grow herbs in or a peace treaty with the quails who have taken over the backyard so I can sit outside sometimes) but the things that to even name leave us feeling vulnerable and exposed - the real foundational desires.  Can I find them, and name them - can I even say them out loud and offer them to God?  Can I embrace them and celebrate them, and pursue them?

Can you?

Hmmmmm......
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment