Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Graceland

Who knew the red-winged alarm clocks could read, and would take my blog so literally!  They were outside my window early this morning and woke me in style!  I smiled as I heard them - our bird feeders seem to be a regular stop on their daily rounds.  They were one of the bright spots of my day, as were some beautiful clouds and a light flurry of snow later this afternoon.  I have a blue spruce right outside my office window that is often filled with sparrows and finches.  Add a light dusting of snow, and you have the perfect Christmas card picture.

Except that it is March.  Winter and spring continue their dance where first one leads and then the other takes over.  Today winter claimed the day (tomorrow, too, so the weather reader says).  Spring by the weekend?  One never knows.  It is a gift to be able to watch this dance, and enjoy the passion it contains.

Today was a hard health day, so I am thankful for the glimpses of grace that carried me through, with the view out nearby windows providing my ticket to graceland.  And grace was there - delightfully there.  I wish I could tell you that it made all the difficulties better, but that would be a lie.  It did, however, make them easier to bear.  Tonight I listen to the sound of the wind rattling the windows and howling around the corners of the house.  It is a different music from the funky bird scat, but it has its own charm.  I close my eyes and listen, and soon I feel myself howling like the wind, just like I hear myself singing with the birds.  Today I  watched the hawk soaring overhead, and felt the wind lifting my arms as I, too, soared...and for a moment, I felt one with creation, and less aware of the burdens bending my shoulders low.  I accept these moments as the precious gift they are, and offer thanks to the One who meets me even in the sound of the wind.

Prayer (from Earth Gospel, by Sam Hamilton Poore

Erase all the lines, O God,
that I have drawn in my mind
to separate the life that is "not-me"
from the life that is "me."
Enlarge the boundaries of my heart
to include soil and water,
air and animals,
friend and stranger -
all that, in Christ, you've called me
to love and nourish.

Tonight I will ride the wind, and then rest in the arms of my Creator.

Where and how did you encounter grace today?  I invite you to acknowledge this gift, and offer thanks.

With gratitude,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment