Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Temptations are Coming!

All of us struggle with temptations - no one skates through life on planet earth without putting in some serious one-on-one time with the very things that tempt us most.  One of the first Bible stories we hear in Lent is Jesus' temptation in the wilderness.  Church tradition teaches that Jesus went into the wilderness for a time of silence, solitude, prayer, and to prepare to assume his ministry.  Along with that he got a companion who kept presenting to him a unique display of temptations custom-made to entice Jesus...a voice that kept whispering in his ear the very things he did not want to think about or consider...

Even Jesus didn't skate through life on planet earth without wrestling with temptation.

Knowing that temptation will come (and my friend, believe me, it will come) takes some of the sting out of the experience.  No need to say "poor me" or ask "why is this happening to me?"  It's what happens, period.

Wise mentors have told me that the experience of facing a temptation and moving through it is a great teacher.  These words, when remembered post-temptation, do bring me comfort.  Pre-temptation, they just invite angry feelings, and a suggestion from me that being in "school" with these great "teachers" is a totally overrated experience.

And yet the temptations come.  Some are easy to identify.  I'm vegan; my husband is not.  My choice to be vegan was made first for medical reasons, and now is both a medical and ethical choice.  Tonight for his birthday I took him out to dinner, and enjoyed my hummus and warm pita followed by a roasted beet salad (it was truly nice), while I watched him enjoy his filet mignon with bearnaise sauce etc, and finish the meal with a bread pudding with warm white chocolate sauce.  I really like filet mignon, love bearnaise sauce, and adore white chocolate in any form - with warm white chocolate sauce being gastronomic nirvana.  It is also not good for me (but a little bit won't hurt) and so saying no is a nurturing thing for me to do (but it would taste soooo good and this is a special occasion).  (For the record, the voice in parentheses is not the voice of my husband, but the voice that whispers in my ear enticing me to do something that is not in my best interest).

Like I said, some temptations are easy to spot.  Other times, they are so well camouflaged that they wage a temptation by stealth campaign on our hearts.  One of these steath temptations went to work on me yesterday, but thanks to the first reading in the Lenten devotional by Henri Nouwen, it was quickly unmasked.  If you, like me, struggle with a lack of self-forgiveness and mercy, you may recognize this temptation:

"God's mercy is greater than our sins.  There is an awareness of sin that does not lead to God but rather to self-preoccupation.  Our temptation is to be so impressed by our sins and failings and so overwhelmed by our lack of generosity that we get stuck in a paralyzing guilt.  It is the guilt that says:  'I am too sinful to deserve God's mercy.'  It is the guilt that leads to introspection instead of directing our eyes to God.  It is the guilt that has become an idol and therefore a form of pride.  Lent is the time to break down this idol and to direct our attention to our loving Lord."  (Show Me The Way, by Henri J.M. Nouwen, p 14).

Without the wisdom of this passage, I might have wallowed in the muck of this temptation without even realizing what it was!  I am always grateful for the wisdom gained and shared by those who have also walked this road.  We learn from each other.

The temptations are coming!  So let them come, take a deep breath, and allow the wisdom of God's people, past and present, to help see you through.  You will not face the temptations alone; the God who knows first hand what temptation is like stands with you.  Take God's hand - breathe deeply - game on!

I will write again on Sunday, following a time of Sabbath rest and reflection.

Blessed Lenten journey,
Kim

1 comment: