Thursday, February 9, 2012

Invasion of Grace

They were so high up in the trees that I couldn't see what kind of birds they were, but did they ever make a racket!  I'm thinking red-winged black birds, but can't be sure.  A whole flock of them settled in the high trees around the church this afternoon.  They carried on with all manner of sound high up in the trees, while the robins sang in the lower branches.  I had to stop walking to my car and just sit and listen.  It was amazing - grace.  An invasion of grace!

And then they were gone.  All of a sudden they flew off, and I was left with the melodic robin song.  And a memory of grace. 

For a moment at the rehab pool today it was still - silent - calm (very unusual).  There was only one other person in the pool, and she was far away quietly working on her rehab exercises.  I was in the deep end,  finishing up my cardio, soaking in the stillness, and loving the peace and quiet.   And then it was gone!  Suddenly the pool was full of folks who were exercising and visiting (having a news, as they say in Scotland).  There was laughter, and shouting (may folks do not wear their hearing aids in the pool for obvious reasons, which raises the decibel level considerably), with multiple conversations going on all at once.

Being fond of quiet and stillness, the invasion of noise was not a welcome change for me.  But instead of getting irritated (default reaction), I let myself appreciate the laughter and the connection that was obviously so important for many of the people at the pool.

As I was finishing up and getting ready to head to the peace and quiet of the locker room, the woman who had been in the far end of the pool during the quiet time made her way into the deep end where I was stretching.  She commented on how loud it had become, and I nodded.  Then she shared how much she liked the noise, and told me about being home alone all day, and having no one to talk to except her dog.  Coming for her exercise and having the chance to talk with others was the highlight of her day!

Although I prefer the quiet, the alternative was truly an invasion of grace for many who were there today...and a good reminder to me that what irritates me may indeed be a blessing for another...so perhaps it makes sense for me to look for the blessing before I condemn the experience.

A good lesson to remember...

Tomorrow is my second attempt at keeping the Sabbath.  I'll write again after the weekend and let you know how it went.  In the meantime, I invite you to join me in looking for grace in the situations we encounter - especially the annoying ones.  It surprised me how much I enjoyed seeing others benefit from all that noise, laughter and conversation - even though it is not my "cup of tea."  They received grace by the interaction; I received grace by their joy.

God is good.  Take care,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment