Sunday, February 12, 2012

God as ...?

Today at Boise First we talked about alternative models for God, specifically Sallie McFague's model of the universe/creation as the Body of God, and how embracing that model might alter our relationship with all creation in a positive way.  Preparing for this sermon took me back to the many models of God I have encountered and used over my lifetime.  God as Father, God as Creator, God as Judge, God as King/Monarch/Lord and God as Shepherd were models that were fresh to me as a child and young person.  My role in relation to these ideals of God was to be a child, a creature, a guilty sinner, a servant, and a sheep.  Although there are positive things that can come from these roles, I didn't experience them as very helpful or liberating.

It wasn't until I was older and in Seminary that I encountered other models of God, mostly through the writings of Sallie McFague and the Rhineland mystics of the late medieval period - God as Mother, God as Lover, God as Partner, God as Friend.  These models of God invited me into a more adult relationship with God, which was both frightening and liberating.  God as Friend became for me the most consistently sustaining model of God, and one that is once again operating powerfully in my life.

But the situation is far from static - any number of factors can cause me to be drawn to one model of God over another.  There are times when I feel incapable of wise thought and simply want to be led like a sheep; other times when I would love to crawl into the arms of a parental God who can make things better with a hug and kiss.  One mistake and I find myself fearful of the Judging God I was taught in my childhood - how quickly that models returns! 

But when I am feeling grounded and centered, the model of God as Friend and Partner resonates most clearly in my heart.  I'm exploring our relationship as friends and partners again - the experience is as fresh as if I had never heard of this before.

No matter what name or model I use to describe my relationship with God (or God's relationship with me), it is but a small glimpse into the mystery that is God - a mystery that cannot begin to be explained fully by any model we create!

What names do you have for God, and what is that relationship like?  Does the relationship stay the same, or change due to circumstances?  Does the model you have for God help you to be free to be your best and truest self?  If not, what model might you consider that would invite you into deeper growth and integrity?

On an unrelated note - my second attempt at keeping the Sabbath was, again, a mixed experience.  But I am committed to seeing this through - I will keep showing up, and see how this unfolds.

May you have a blessed week,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment