Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Enoughness

Today began with a moment of unexpected grace, followed by another...and then another...and then an experience requiring deep breathing, flexibility and yet another adjustment...followed by thankfulness for the early morning experience of grace.  It was just enough - just enough to help see me through the bumps and bruises of the day.

It was all I needed today.

I am mystified by how the equation stays balanced - just enough, no more, no less.  More would be brilliant, and at times in life there is an overflowing abundance of grace that sweeps all the negativity out of the way like the Boise River during spring run off.  At other times it reminds me of the Kern River during a California drought.  I can remember being in Bakersfield during the early '90s, and being driven around by a member of the search committee.  We came up on the bridge passing over the Kern River with signs posted about drowning hazards etc - and their wasn't a drop of water in the river.  It was bone dry.  My young son leaned over to me and said "drowning hazard - what do people do here ...throw themselves into the dust and suffocate themselves?"  Sometimes it doesn't feel like there is enough grace to meet the challenge; like we are face down in the dry riverbed.

Then there are the days when it is just enough, and no more.  I rest in that enoughness tonight like I do at the end of a workout in the rehab pool.  My last exercise involves balancing in the water with little movement - just allowing the water to hold me up - just enough to keep my head above water, and no more.  Completely still - being held by the water...like being held by grace.

Just enough.

What was your experience of grace today - was it a swiftly flowing river, a bone dry riverbed, or just enough?

Resting with my head above the water - just,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment