Thursday, May 10, 2012

Acceptance

I never cease to be amazed at how God speaks through any and all circumstances of life, and in unique ways that each individual can perceive.  One cannot begin to catalogue the vast range of God's creativity, and flexibility - there is no end to the ways in which God can communicate.

I experienced this personally today, as I found God - very clearly - reminding me that my job description, rooted in Benedictine Spirituality, does not include fixing, rescuing, and maintaining or creating structures for the sake of trying to advance an agenda (no matter how good or true or noble the agenda may be).  Instead, it involves meeting people where they are and ministering with them - not trying to drag them where I want them to be.   As counterintuitive as it sounds, acceptance is a necessary component in the process of transformation.

One of my favorite authors in the field of spiritual leadership, Joan Chittister, reminds me that spiritual leadership is a leavening process that encourages spiritual and psychological growth of the individual and community.  The leader believes in the best and gives people the opportunities to make the mistakes that lead to growth...allows the practices of worship and service and prayer to work their way until the piercing good of God rises in the individuals and community like yeast in bread...and leads individuals to spiritual adulthood where the individuals can make the kind of choices that give life depth and quality (Joan Chittister, The Rule of Benedict:  A Spirituality for the 21st Century).  



I end my work week humbled, and inspired, and most grateful for God's ever-present reminder of what really matters.

I will write again Sunday evening.  Until then,

Blessings,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment