Sunday, June 24, 2012

Too Small or Just Right...

By far one of the best newsletters I receive is the Canticle of St. Gertrude: A Journal of Our Life (published by the Monastery of St Gertrude up in Cottonwood, Idaho).  I am always inspired by something I read within its pages, and this month the Prioress introduced me to the poetry of David Whyte by sharing the following lines from his poem "Sweet Darkness":

When your vision has gone
No part of the world can find you...
...Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet
confinement of your aloneness
to learn
anything or anyone
that does not bring you alive
is too small for you."

These words have been rumbling around in my soul for the past several days, as I have reflected on what brings me alive...and what doesn't...and what is too small for me - and how to make peace with the judgment that statement implies...

What brings you alive?  Are there things in your life that are too small for you?

Pondering,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment