Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Getting Ready

Only one more sleep until Advent begins (for French and Celtic Christians - three cheers for gifting me with fifteen more days of my favorite season).  I have one beloved Advent devotional that begins on November 15th and it is right here beside me.  I smile as I hold it in my hands - it’s almost time.

I wasn’t going to order my special Advent candles this year due to all the upheaval associated with getting ready for this journey, but I changed my mind.  Now more than ever, I need the light and warmth those beeswax candles provide.  And in the midst of change I need the anchor of tradition - now is not the time to throw everything that grounds me overboard!

Things went fairly smoothly in October as my preparation to leave became visible.  November has been another story.  Things that were meant to proceed without a hitch or hiccup have become chaotic and complicated.  Those two words and the experiences they evoke do not settle well in my psyche.  Goodbyes are hard enough without complications.

But here I am, chaos and complications and all, trying to find my way through this experience.  It is like thinking you are getting on the Thomas the Train ride that goes around the children’s section of the amusement park and discovering that the Viper Roller Coaster was disguised as that sweet, tame train.  The next thing you know you are upside-down in the corkscrew and you might just be the one screaming like you did when you were seven and saw a great big spider.

I guess I should be thankful that I’m not on the great big spider ride.  It can also be disguised as Thomas the Tank Engine.

As things get more chaotic that quiet voice within reminds me to slow it down...double down on self care...and trust that, in time, all will be well (whatever “well” looks like).  So with a house to pack, a house to sell, a house to buy, a road trip to plan, and beloved friends, colleagues and congregation to say goodbye to - not to mention all that happens in November-December - I’m slowing things down.  Time to embrace my inner turtle.

In the Godly play classroom we help the children to get ready before we engage the story.  And that involves slowing down, settling in and being awake and aware.  That is exactly what is needed right now.

One more sleep until Advent begins and forty-six more sleeps until I leave Boise.  It’s time to get ready...

With love,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment