Sunday, September 8, 2013

God's Name Is Lucas (and he wears a Batman tee shirt)

Although all creation is sacred (God's body, so says Sallie McFague), the East Inlet Trail in the Kawuneeche Valley of Rocky Mountain National Park is especially sacred to me.  I have hiked this trail since 1988, and no matter how far I get on it, I always have a powerful experience of the Sacred - of God.  Always - without exception.  And without exception, the experience is different/unexpected every time.

Once while praying in the First Meadow a huge bull moose appeared - he was too big to be real!  I was speechless (and camera-less), and stood in reverence of Grandfather Moose.  Years later his grandson taught me that I was capable of a pre-dawn vertical rock scramble in order to avoid being gored by angry teenage moose!  Wildflowers and chipmunks have ministered to me, as has Old Baldy, my favorite mountain.  And on my 50th birthday whilst resting on the rock shelf (offering thanks for my life and wondering how I was going to hike out with a blown knee), a hummingbird appeared and hovered in front of me - close enough to touch! As I hiked out that day, the hummingbird reappeared each time I felt I could not go on - God with wings!

My sacred experiences on this trail motivate me to hike just before dawn (before the crowds descend on the trail).  Although families hiking in Rocky bring me hope, they do not necessarily add to my experience of silence, solitude and the Sacred.  I would have been on the trail today pre-dawn, had it not been for a tough negotiation session with my knees.  In light of my recent fall (and their memory of the 50th birthday hike), they came to the table with a list of demands:  Mindful walking (slow and steady), no pain meds pre-hike (so I can't do too much), no set destination (turn back when needed), and leave after sunrise (to avoid a vertical rock scramble, or slipping in the dark).  Since their demands were fair, I accepted their terms, and they agreed to the hike.

The hike was glorious!  I may have set a record for the slowest trek to the First Meadow, but each careful step reassured my knees and allowed me to see more than I usually see.  I sat in my thoughtful spot and offered thanks for Chapel of Garioch and her anniversary, and Boise First and kick-off Sunday.  I prayed my list of intercessions, and gazed at the beauty of the meadow.  Then it was time to leave - mostly downhill (my knee's version of hell).  Along the way a doe and her fawn gave me encouragement.  But as I reached the turnoff to Adams Falls, I had to sit down.

It was then that I heard a young child peppering his dad with questions.  Soon I was face-to-face with a very precocious five-year-old dressed in a Batman tee shirt.  He:  "Hi lady.  What are you doing?"
Me:  "Resting."  He:  "I'm tired, too, so I'll rest with you."

He sat down next to me, shook my hand and told me his name was Lucas, that he was five-years-old and that he and his dad had just come from Adams Falls.  They were waiting for his mom and auntie, who he hoped had not been eaten by mountain lions or gotten lost on the trail.  I was able to reassure him on both counts, and said I'd keep an eye out for them as I hiked out.  He asked me where I had been, and so I told him stories of the First Meadow.  He insisted his dad take him to the lady's meadow (sorry dad), and with another handshake, we parted company. As I started the steep descent,  I noticed that despite the pain, I was smiling.  Lucas had touched my heart.

The end of the trail was near when I sat down one last time to comfort my knees.  As I rested I heard a familiar voice shouting, "Dad, look - we found the lady!"  Before I knew it, Lucas was sitting next to me on the rock, telling me about his trip to the meadow while snuggling just a bit.  I felt wrapped in love and compassion!  After awhile his dad smiled, and told Lucas it was time to leave.  "No," he said, "I want to stay with the lady, and we can all go out together."  I thanked Lucas for the offer, and told him it was ok to go - I walk very slowly, and didn't want to hold them up.  He offered to walk slowly with me!  Soon mom and auntie appeared (looking exhausted)  and wondering if I was the lady who told Lucas about the meadow - sorry mom.  Finally Lucas hugged me and said goodbye - saying he hoped to see me again, maybe in the meadow.  He promised to look for me every time he came here for a walk.  I wished him a happy and blessed life, thanked him, and told him I would look for him, too.  As he walked away with his dad, he turned around and waved, then took his dad's hand as they disappeared from sight.  I sat there still enveloped in love, and smiling at the sight of God as a five-year-old wearing a Batman tee shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment