Sunday, August 26, 2012

After the mud - wings!

I am into my third week of the program, and will either complete twenty one days on Wednesday, or beg indulgence from the church and stay for the full twenty eight day program (returning a week later than planned).  I know that many have been wondering how I'm feeling - very well, thank you.  The medical care has been stellar; the stress management component has stretched me (positively) in very unexpected ways.  The first two weeks were a bit like "boot camp" and now I'm in the consolidation/integration phase - putting into practice what I've learned.  I keep a simple but full schedule involving medical care, physical therapy, classes, and walks in the woods.  Without a doubt, the woods provide the best medicine.  I have learned to live without added sodium, and am surprised to discover how well I feel without it.  I am also now off all my medications, and feel like myself again.  That awful sensation of "walking through waist-deep mud" is gone - I feel alive and fresh, and with enough energy to get through the day (instead of having more day than energy).

To say I am thankful is an understatement of the highest order.  I feel enormous gratitude for all who are participating in my healing - from the doctors who used great skill to help me find my feet, to the staff who prepare and serve food that tastes wonderful even though it is missing most of the ingredients that make it fun!  I am grateful for each class, each walk in the woods, each time the physical therapist frees up some scar tissue in my knee (to improve mobility) and responds to my tears with a soothing touch and kleenex.  I am thankful for the support of fellow students in this program - many of whom are facing life-threatening illness - and yet take the time to offer a word of encouragement when someone is one bowl of oat bran away from going over the wall.  Bill patiently spent the first two weeks driving me to and from appointments (a full time job), and David arrives tomorrow for two days of "supporting Mom." Wonderful, amazing, graceful support - I am so blessed.

And then there was the baby dragonfly.  I have always had an affinity for dragonflies - at times I have longed to climb out of the mud and fly about on graceful, delicate wings.  I finished a long walk in the woods the other morning, and came back to the car tired but energized.  As I reached the car, the most delicate and beautiful baby dragonfly landed on the roof of the car.  We each held our ground - inches away from each other - and eye to eye.  What a beautiful creature!  I was mesmerized by its electric blue color, huge eyes, and delicate wings.  As we communed together, I realized that I had indeed crawled out of the mud, and was testing my wings.  I have emerged - and I can fly.  What a gift!

My gratitude knows no bounds.

Much love,
Kim


1 comment:

  1. You have never been far from our prayers Kim. I am so glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete