Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fresh x2

Back in the '70s and '80s the Episcopal Ad Project helped pave the way for churches to advertise using clever eye-catching copy (mostly posters).  Some messages clearly "preached to the choir," while others were meant to attract the unchurched.  The first poster I saw spoke volumes to clergy:  "Jesus told us to feed the sheep, not count them."  I have always remembered the message, especially during the summer months, when worship attendance is down.

Today I was reminded that it is not the quantity of people in the sanctuary that matters but the quality of their interactions.  When all was said and done I was able to step back and watch as people ministered to each other in a compassionate, sensitive way.  Instead of finishing the morning tense and drained of energy, I felt refreshed and centered.  Nice - very nice.

Even on a hot day in July, community felt fresh and alive - what a wonderful feeling!

This evening I'm sitting with a new book recommended by a new friend - Robert Alter's The Book of Psalms.  Alter's translation of the Psalms startles me with its beauty and freshness - the Psalms are old, familiar friends, yet I feel like I am encountering them anew.  Like very fine chocolate, this new rendering of the Psalms is meant to be savored, one delicious bite at a time.

The old becomes new again - fresh again - surprisingly vital again.  The familiar Sunday morning experience and words I've read a thousand times - known and yet now new.  

Isn't grace an amazing gift....

Savoring the moment,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment