Friday, May 23, 2014

Sleepless in Seattle. Here. Now.

Even though I arrived in Seattle about 5 hours ago, my mind is still driving - perhaps a function of the  sheer amount of driving I have done recently.  This road trip is not related to search and call, but brings me instead to officiate at a wedding of two dear people I love, who are unable to marry back in Idaho.  Even though the State of Idaho battles the "intrusions of big government" whenever it can, it feels justified entering the relationships of consenting adults, and creating legislation that restricts marriage to a commitment between one man and one woman.  I'd have more respect for the libertarian spirit so often championed in Idaho if it was applied across the boards, and not just to matters of "the Feds," taxation, and the Second Amendment.  Fortunately, this bigoted constitutional amendment is on its way out, and marriage equality is on the horizon.  In the meantime, I travel to Seattle to officiate at this most happy of occasions.

Seattle wins the "Most Beautiful Entrance to a City (when entering from the East) Award.  Spectacular!  Not all cities offer such a breathtaking entrance (think Buffalo or Newark).   But this was sheer magic - even with rush hour traffic (more time to enjoy the view) and the torrential rain storm that preceded the entrance to the city (my car is now clean).

I feel like I have been through four seasons in one day!  I left Boise on a warm spring day, and travelled across the high desert of eastern Oregon as the heat of the day began to build - that amazing combination of sagebrush desert and desolation that speaks of summer!  By Baker City the snow-capped mountains came into view, reminding me of the beauty of fall leading to winter.  As I crossed the Columbia, the power of water and spring run off was very much on my mind.

The water tower for Prosser caused me to nod in recognition of a town that would have remained pretty much unknown except for two brothers who liked the color blue and were handy with a football.  But blue was not the color for this area - the more traditional color of green made its home here.  This was the beginning of my noticing how many different shades of green are present in the great State of Washington!

Turning on to I 90 W gave me a glimpse of breathtaking scenery like Keechelus Lake, and forested hillsides (glorious)!  It also provided an important reality check, as I watched the many mile traffic jam build for those poor souls on I 90 E.  I guess everyone in Seattle wanted to get an early start on their Memorial Day Weekend plans.

Torrential rain and low cloud on Snoqualmie Pass reminded me of transitional times in the seasons of the year (spring to summer, fall to winter, winter to spring).  And then the rain gave way to the sunshine - and a beautiful city!

It takes me awhile to adjust to the different driving styles in different cities.  Bay Areas drivers are very different from drivers in Seattle.  Here they are surprisingly courteous.  The multitude of pedestrians also seem to be surprisingly pleasant - even the woman I almost ran over was courteous (where did all the pedestrians come from - what a shock)!  I was relieved to arrive at the hotel before accidentally committing vehicular manslaughter, greet the very happy couple (they are positively glowing), and get settled into my room.

The hotel room windows are open because this grand old hotel does not have air conditioning.  The city street sounds remind me of my seminary years spent living in NYC.  During the last sixteen days I have experienced the desolation of the high desert (being the only one on the road for as far as the eye could see), the snow and crisp air of the high country, the beautiful but parched landscape of the Bay Area and its traffic jams where cars were standing still for as far as the eye could see, the lush farmland of Washington State, and the abundance of water around the greater Seattle area.

I have lived in cities, and I have lived in remote settings.  I have been parched in the desert and drenched in humid climates.  I have lived with noise, and I have lived with silence.  And although I have preferences, the truth tonight is that I have experienced the Divine in all places.  Not just the places that line up with my preferences  - but in all places.

In deep snow and scorching sun - in chaotic noise and deep silence - God has been in every and all experiences.  Preferences really have little to do with finding God.  In fact, experiencing God's presence is not achieved by making sure that external circumstances line up with one's preferences; instead, it is about transcending preferences so one can experience God everywhere.  Here.  Now.

Wide awake, I listen to the sirens, and busses, and traffic - and think about all the people inhabiting all those sounds.  They face an endless stream of opportunities and challenges - joys and sorrows.  And God is in the midst of it all.  I will hold that thought for them, just in case they are too busy dodging the odd pedestrian to notice.

It has taken me fifty-five years to lose my attachment to place - what a gift!  God present in the midst of the cross-walk beeping, or in the veriditas of the forest.  The entire earth is holy ground!

Laughter from people down on the street - the sound of the brakes from a passing bus.  A plane making its approach to the airport - and, in the liminal space, I am back in the chapel at SFTS with my fellow students (who graduate tomorrow) singing:  "Surely God is in this place; Holy Ground.  Surely God is in this place; Holy Ground."

It is all Holy Ground - Sallie McFague was right - creation is the Body of God.  We stand on Holy Ground, whether we are sleepless in Seattle, or preparing to graduate in San Anselmo.  Or living in the Sudan.

Such thoughts might radically alter how we respond to creation!  Perhaps even how we respond to one another - and to God!

Happy in my sleeplessness,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment