Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Stuck Lid Syndrome and the Power of Release

You know that "stuck" feeling you get when you try to tighten a nut onto a screw when it isn't threaded onto the screw properly...ditto for a jar lid...STUCK!

Why is our initial reaction to try to tighten it more, instead of stopping and releasing the pressure?

Force is a crude intervention.  Flow is better.

My post-migraine brain thinks that this might apply to more things than just the batten on my loom beater, or a jar of peanut butter.  It certainly applies to relationships:  You will love me!  I must forgive them!  She needs to address this now or else!  Stuck Lid Syndrome - force it, and the stuckness increases.

It most certainly applies to personal growth and healing:  OK - I am done feeling broken and want to be healed and whole now.  I will take all the steps/do all the things/read all the books/practice all the exercises so I can heal and be whole NOW.  Am I not making myself clear - do I have to try harder?  MAYBE INCREASE MY EFFORT?  INTENSITY?  (clearly that doesn't work).

It absolutely applies to churches:  Force a church to change - really?  Even if it is desired change -  doesn't matter.  Change isn't necessarily what churches resist - it is the torque applied to achieve that change that (I think) fuels resistance.  And torque can take many forms - including the most wonderful plans - even plans with buy-in.

Part of my problem is the dynamic of intermittent reinforcement.  If I try something ten times and coincidence  results in a success in one instance when I am applying force, then some corner of my primitive brain makes an unhelpful connection and encourages me to use this approach in any/all situations.  I will absolutely force myself to eat three servings of fruit and four serving of veggies every day.  I will do my pt exercises three times a day without fail.  I WILL STOP WORRYING! (uh huh - try again).

What if force is indeed a crude intervention that works occasionally, probably by coincidence, but usually results in greater stuckness - no matter what the arena?  Is flow - going with God's Spirit and finding that amazing resonance and release - really the answer?

My Protestant-work-ethic-ACOA-hyper-responsible-maternal-messiah-brain finds the concepts of release, surrender and abandonment to be...well...wrong!  DANGEROUS!  IRRESPONSIBLE.  After all, I am supposed to do something!  NOW!

What a lie!  All my experience (data) demonstrates again and again that it is through relaxing into God's Spirit that positive things happen - good stuff gets done.  Force achieves the opposite result.

So today I relax into the flow of God's Spirit, even with a chorus of angry P-W-E-ACOA-H-R-M-M-B voices telling me I should bla bla bla.  The word "should" is their tell - it always gives them away.  Let them shout - they will tire themselves out (or the healthy voices in the chorus will make judicious use of duct tape, and a different dynamic requiring intervention will emerge), and all will be well.  I cannot make them stop shouting (force), but I can choose whether or not I am going to listen.

They have nothing new to say, and what they say doesn't work.    Time to listen to the music of the Spirit.

Releasing,
Kim





No comments:

Post a Comment