Monday, December 11, 2017

Advent Light

Light that finds me always, come find me now - the night is so dark.

- Prayer chant recorded by Stephen Iverson

They say that the light shines brightest in the deepest darkness.  If that is true, then this Advent provides the perfect climate for light spotting.  The news is so dark...

...and yet it is Advent - my favorite time of year.  I begin preparing for this paradoxical season of exuberant joy and silent stillness - biting cold and radiating warmth - of deep darkness and brilliant light - early in November.  First I place my annual order for Advent and pillar candles from Honey Candles in BC - an amazing boutique candle maker that creates bee-friendly all-beeswax candles with a warmth and clarity of light that takes my breath away. (A grateful shout out to Pat who makes sure the candles arrive in time - even if my order is placed in stages as it was this year).  Getting the candles ready for the First Sunday of Advent is pure joy, as is lighting that first candle and chanting O Come, O Come Emmanuel - an annual ritual that I have repeated for almost fifty years.

We become what we do again and again.

I use a pillar in my home office to remind those who come for spiritual guidance of the unseen One who is ultimately our Companion and Guide.  I try to start each Advent with a new pillar - new season, new candle, new beginning - nice symbol.   This year as I prepared the room for Advent I decided to light the old and worn pillar one last time before putting what was left of it in the box of candle scraps to go to the Monastery for their candle-making ministry.  Although distracted with many tasks, I felt that quiet inner prompting that is like a gentle hand on my shoulder drawing my attention back to the candle.  I sat down and looked - really looked.

It was so beautiful.  Despite being old and worn, the quality of light was incredible.  I sat soaking in the light and allowed awe to envelop me.  Such a profound moment emerged from an old and worn candle!  

Many lessons could be drawn from this experience.  I smiled and felt the warmth of hope.


Yes - the news is dark and some days reads like apocalyptic fiction.  And for many so much is uncertain.  There is great suffering both today and anticipated for many in the future.  And yet in the midst of this darkness the light shines.  

God promises us that the light is here - it shines in the darkness and is not overcome. Our Advent tasks start with being light-spotters - to look with expectant longing for every flicker of light's flame.  

Where did you spot the light today?  Where were you warmed by its flame?  Yesterday was the Christmas Pageant and the light shining from the children was incredible (including all the little sheep who quickly discovered that a circular sanctuary with many aisles creates handy sheep escape routes).  Bright light - pure joy.

Once we are reassured and refreshed by this light, then we can undertake Advent's second task of being light bearers in our dark world.

Remember, kind actions - more than anything else - cause the soul
to shine with brilliance.

- Gertrude the Great

This year I chose a Christmas card designed by Mary Southard, CSJ (Ministry of the Arts) called Visitation as my prayer companion for Advent.  The image of three women enveloped in the light who then, with others, become the light lifts my soul on these dark, cold days.  The words within the card proclaim our Advent Mission:

May we be a people of light bringing peace and love to all the world.


Stop.  Look.  See.  Be what you see.  

Shine!

Advent blessings,
Kim                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment