Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Slow Books

January Intensive is almost over - how did that happen?!?  It seems like it was only yesterday that I was driving into the Bay Area in the dark and at rush hour on a Friday night, feeling the shock of no longer being in the vast unpopulated expanses of Idaho and Nevada.  And then before I could catch my breath, Course 1 of the Intensive was underway, and I was buried alive in books.  The first course was truly quantity over quality - a ridiculous amount of material had to be covered in an extremely short period of time, so we read (and read and read).  What was actually integrated remains to be seen!

I was relieved to see that the books for Course 2 were in paperback and looked much smaller.  And with a master teacher at the helm, the pace (although very intense), felt less manic.  Noticing that we only had two small books assigned for this weekend past, I thought for sure I would find time to go to the coast and enjoy this beautiful sunshine...

...but it was not to be.  And I am not complaining, because one book was written by Howard Thurman, and the other by Abraham Joshua Heschel.  With my plans effectively shelved, I curled up on the sofa and enjoyed a weekend of reading slow books - books that are meant to be savored and read word by word, line by line.  What a treat!

It is hard to believe that I will be leaving here on Friday to make the drive back to Boise.  There is much I will miss, and I already look forward to my first DMin summer course!  But although there is much to miss, there is more that I will carry with me into my life and ministry.  Without a doubt, these three Intensives have been the most valuable experiences since Seminary.  I cherish what they have taught me about ministry, and look forward to honoring this work by faithfully putting it into practice.  Slowly - intentionally - deliberately - tenderly -

- and joyfully!
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment