Monday, April 15, 2013

Walking on...

Last night I settled down in the wasteland just as I have done for too many nights to count.  Once I found a comfortable spot, I looked up at the sky, and savored the few stars I could see through the hazy night sky.  Each one brought me comfort - how I love the night sky!  I could even imagine the vast display of stars that were there hidden from my view.

Before night settled in I looked over at the pile of stuff I've recently accumulated.  Since I was no longer traveling out of the wasteland, I didn't have to limit my possessions to what I could carry.  In fact, there was almost enough stuff that I could build myself a shelter here - a home.

I gazed long and hard in all directions - I have been here long enough that the scenery is familiar, and oddly comforting.  All that time and effort - all those years wandering through the wasteland heading for that promised land seemed now to be a fool's errand.  Perhaps it would have been better just to accept this as home and not try to find my way through.

Content enough with life as it is, I settled down to sleep.  But my sleep was fitful and dream-filled, and I awoke with a soreness in my hip and lower back that felt like I'd been sleeping on a rock.  I reached down to rub my hip and felt something deep in my pocket - it was my compass!  I thought I had lost it a while ago, which made leaving the wasteland seem impossible!  But there is was, and in perfect working order.

I sat there for a long time...looking at the compass...drinking in the vastness of the wasteland...studying my pile of stuff accumulated during this stop on the journey...wondering what kind of fool would leave the safety of the familiar to head into the unknown toward a destination that she has never seen with her own eyes and can only accept by faith...

...what kind of fool?

This kind of fool!

With effort I got to my feet, used the compass to point them in the right direction, and started walking again.  The stuff?  It would only weigh me down. It is time to travel light.

Walking on,
Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment