Sunday, October 7, 2012

Surrender

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."
                                                               - Joseph Campbell

It has been a very quiet, healing, week - my last week of study leave for this year.  I am pleased to share that nothing much happened.  I spent the week finishing remaining paperwork for the first year of my DMin, started next year's reading list, rested, and did a bit of pre-winter "nesting".  It feels like autumn - my favorite time of the year.

I always liked autumn, but didn't love it until I spent those seven years in Scotland learning to accept the descent of the long nights.  Learning to embrace the darkness made it possible to love this time of year - while looking forward to the the shift in December when the light triumphs over the darkness.

I cannot celebrate the return of the light until I embrace and celebrate the coming of the darkness.

And look - here it comes - a bit closer every night - with a chill in the air and its good friend Jack Frost decorating all creation before the sun rises.  The nights lengthen...fighting this is futile...this is the season of surrender...

...and I light the fire in my soul, and bundle up before the fire to stare up into infinity while I dance with the stars.

I love this time of year!

Rejoicing,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment